At Animal Kingdom Veterinary Care Center, we always keep the best interest of pets in North Liberty, surrounding areas, and everywhere in mind! That’s why we administer and make recommendations on both required and lifestyle-specific vaccinations for optimal protection. Vaccines protect cats and dogs against highly contagious and sometimes lethal viral and bacterial diseases. Required pet vaccinations in North Liberty, Iowa are ones deemed the most threatening by the greater veterinary community and are often referred to as “core.” Lifestyle-specific vaccinations may help ensure your pet’s complete protection, depending on how often they travel, go outdoors, or are around other animals.
When to Have Your Pet Vaccinated
Puppies and kittens are the most susceptible to contracting diseases like parvo, which protect dogs against an extremely resistant and contagious virus that rapidly affects their gastrointestinal tracts. Unvaccinated kittens are the most at risk of contracting panleukopenia, which destroys cells that are rapidly maturing in places like their bone marrow or intestines. Bringing a new puppy or kitten in for a series of boosters that includes required vaccines like parvovirus and panleukopenia will keep them healthy for years to come. A general timeline for pet vaccinations as they grow and develop:
- Puppies and kittens can receive their first booster shots at 6-8 weeks old.
- Puppies and kittens should follow up their initial vaccines with a series given every 3-4 weeks apart.
- Depending on when we start a vaccinations series, puppies and kittens receive their last booster shot at around four months old.
- Adult pets receive maintenance vaccinations either every one or three years, depending on their level of activity and exposure to possible viruses.
Vaccinations We Provide
In addition to required vaccinations, we provide a variety of lifestyle-specific pet vaccinations. Please consult our doctors about what vaccines your pet should receive for the best possible protection.
Required vaccinations for dogs:
- Canine rabies is required by law.
- Canine distemper protects against four different diseases, including distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, and parvovirus.
Required vaccinations for cats:
- Feline rabies is required by law.
- Feline distemper protects against three different diseases, including feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia.
- Feline leukemia is for kittens and cats who go outdoors.
- Bordetella (kennel cough) is for pets who are boarded.
- Lyme may benefit a pet who travels or goes outdoors.
- Leptospirosis may benefit a pet who travels or goes outdoors.
Pet Vaccination Clinic in North Liberty, Iowa
Please contact us or call at 319-626-2999 for more information about dog and cat vaccinations or to schedule your pet’s wellness visit today!